I was trying to make the Spicy Moroccan Carrot Salad from Ottolenghi's Plenty but I lacked most of the ingredients. So I fudged and this is what happened.
- 2 lbs carrots
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped small
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 serrano chile, finely chopped
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon, Spanish smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon Oregano Indio
- 1/3 cup Banana Vinegar
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Peel the carrots and cut them into even discs. Boil in salted water for 10 minutes. Drain and allow them to dry out a bit.
- Saute the onion in the olive oil over medium heat until the onions just start to turn brown. Add garlic. Then add the rest of the ingredients except the parsley. Stir well and then add the carrots.
- Turn off the heat, mix in the parsley and serve.