Martha Rose Shulman’s genius Caesar salad dressing made with beans and yogurt got us thinking about bean-based dressings. We experimented and came up with this version, using our pineapple vinegar.
For the dressing:
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- ½ cup cooked, drained white beans, such as Alubia Blanca or Marcella
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt or regular yogurt
- 1 anchovy filet (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Rancho Gordo Pineapple Vinegar or other light vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
For the salad:
- 4 cups chopped seasonal lettuces
- ¼ red onion, minced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 1 cup fresh croutons or breadcrumbs
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese for serving
- In a blender or food processor, process the garlic until minced. Scrape down the sides. Add the beans and yogurt and process until smooth. Add the anchovy, if using, the mustard, lemon juice, vinegar, oil, Parmesan, and salt and pepper, and blend until the mixture is smooth. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- In a serving bowl, combine the lettuce with the dressing. Top with the onion, tomatoes, and croutons. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Top with Parmesan cheese and serve.