Alubia Blancas with Clams
Pancetta, clams and beans. What a combination. The real excitement is when the clams open up and release their delicious broth, which mixes with the pancetta and creates a sauce that pleases the beans to no end. You can prepare the beans ahead of time and the clams will be done quickly, making this a great dinner party dish.
- 2 cups cooked Rancho Gordo Alubia Blanca beans
- 2 tablespoons cubed pancetta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 white or yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Oregano Indio
- 2 pounds clams
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- Salt and pepper
- In a large frying pan, add the cubed pancetta and the olive oil and cook on medium heat until the pancetta has rendered its fat and has a chewy texture, about 10 minutes. Remove the pancetta, reserving the fat in the pan. Add the onion and garlic and saute until soft, about 7 minutes. Add the Oregano Indio, crumbling it with your hands to release the flavors, and then the clams.
- Continue cooking the clams, shaking and tossing them, until they all open. Discard any stubborn clams that refuse to open. Add the wine and stir, creating a sauce from the wine and all the juices. Return the pancetta to the pan.