It's hard for me to pass a stack of fresh corn ears, especially when they're on sale. As much as I love fresh corn on the cob (with just lime juice and salt is my preference), I often have too many ears to eat.
Corn relish is a tasty, easy way to use up some of your ears. The relish can work as a salsa with chips or as a condiment for grilled meats. Or you can just eat it by the spoonful.
It seems a lot of super-sweet new corns trade real, hearty corn flavor for sweetness. Be sure and let your farmer or greengrocer know if you prefer a less sweet corn.
- 2 ears of fresh corn, kernels removed with a knife
- 1/4 red bell pepper, chopped fine
- 1/4 red (Bermuda) onion, chopped fine
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Juice of one key lime
- 1 Serrano chile, minced
- 2 cherry tomatoes, chopped
- Rancho Gordo Flor de Sal to taste
- Mix all ingredients gently and chill for at least one hour.