Marin Sunday Market Stuffing
This recipe was such a hit that it was printed in the Marin Independent Journal! It uses products from some of my favorite vendors at the Sunday market at the Marin Civic Center.
This recipe will stuff a 12-pound turkey or half a dozen game hens. It's also delicious as a side dish with pork, as a filling for cabbage rolls or simply on its own. All items (except the water!) are available at the Sunday farmers market at the Civic Center in San Rafael, open from 8 a.m. to 1p.m.
Makes about 6 cups.
- 3 cups Roli Roti chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups Rancho Gordo Wild Rice (about 9 ounces), rinsed, drained
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons Rancho Gordo Mexican Oregano
- 1 pound Prather Ranch Organic Ground Beef
- 3 medium Poblano chiles or green bell peppers, roasted, cleaned and skinned
- 2 medium Eatwell Farms red onions, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup De Santis Farm pecans, chopped and lightly toasted
- 2 tablespoons Robert Lambert Candied Blood Orange Peel
- Combine broth, rice, 1 cup water and Mexican oregano in a large saucepan over high heat. Bring to boil, then reduce to a soft simmer until the wild rice is tender, stirring occasionally, about 55 minutes. Drain.
- Sauté hamburger meat in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat until cooked through, breaking up with a wooden spoon, about 10 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer the ground meat to paper towels and drain.
- Add chopped chiles or peppers and onions to drippings in skillet. Sauté over medium heat until vegetables are soft, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the cooked wild rice and meat to the skillet. Sauté until heated through. Stir in the pecans and candied orange peels. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
(The Marin Sunday Market Stuffing can be prepared a day ahead. Cover and refrigerate once cool. If you'd like to serve as a side dish, re-warm covered in 350°F. oven for 20 minutes.) Transfer to bowl and serve. If using as stuffing, cool completely and fill bird.