Piloncillo Shortbread Cookies
I recently bought some fun cookie stamps. Why, I'm not really sure. I don't love baking the way I love cooking, but these were so much fun and so easy that I may change my mind.
Piloncillo isn't as sweet as refined sugar, which may be a problem for some but I found these sandy discs to be perfectly sweetened. Next I think I would sub some of the flour for ground nuts or our pinole. Maybe. But these really were perfect as they were and the staff here at Rancho Gordo (and let's face it, they can be picky) gobbled them up.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup Rancho Gordo Piloncillo
- 1 teaspoon Rancho Gordo Pure Mexican Vanilla Extract
- 2 1/4 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cream the piloncillo with the butter until well mixed. Add the vanilla and then the flour. Beat at a low speed until very well mixed.
- Form the dough into 1-inch balls. Place the balls on an ungreased cookie sheet 2 inches apart. Smash with the bottom of a juice glass or use a cookie stamp. Bake for about 10 minutes. They should be cooked but not brown as they'll continue cooking for a while after you take them out of the oven.
- Allow to cool thoroughly.
Adapted from a recipe by Rycraft Cookie Stamps.