Recipe: Royal Corona Beans in a Creamy Tomato Sauce
This was featured in our newsletter and I’ve made it several times since. I think it’s an almost perfect dish. It really shows off why heirloom beans are so great and make such a huge difference.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 28-ounce can whole peeled Roma tomatoes, with tomatoes roughly chopped, liquid reserved
- 1/4 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 to 4 cups cooked Rancho Gordo Royal Corona beans
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley for garnish, chopped
- Extra-virgin olive oil
Serves 2 to 4
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, saute the garlic, onion, carrot and celery in the olive oil until soft, 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Salt. Add the tomatoes and their liquid and cook for another 10 minutes. Stir in the stock and wine. Add the cream and gently cook another 5 minutes. Check for seasoning and add more salt if necessary.
- Divide the beans among bowls and top with the sauce. Sprinkle parsley over the top and finish with a drizzle of olive oil.