Recipe: Salsa Verde Made in A Molcajete
Many of us have these cute molcajetes but too often they sit idle. What a shame! Making a simple green salsa in a molcajete is easy and your salsa will have a wonderful, authentic texture that you can't get from any other method.
- 5 or 6 medium sized tomatillos
- 1 large slice of white onion, chopped fine
- 4 serrano chiles, finely minced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon of Rancho Gordo Mexican Oregano or Rancho Gordo Oregano Indio
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Small handful of cilantro, chopped fine
- Rinse the tomatillos and then roast them on a hot, dry skillet (or comal). Rotate them often so they have nice charred spots but don't turn into charcoal. They should be soft in about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in your molcajete, mash the onion, garlic, chiles and salt until they become a nice goo. The finer your chop, the less work this will be.
- When the tomatillos are soft and hissing, remove from the heat and allow to cool. Chop them fine and add to the molcajete. Start grinding again. Add the lime juice and cilantro.