Senate Bean Soup
This soup was made famous in Washington D.C., almost. Use Rancho Gordo Dried Heirloom Yellow Eye or Flageolet beans for a superior dish.
- 2 pounds dried Yellow Eye or Flageolet beans
- 4 quarts hot water
- 1 1/2 pounds smoked ham hocks
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse the beans and pick them over for small rocks or other debris. Place beans in a large pot and add water to cover by about 2 inches of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low.
- Add ham hocks and simmer approximately three hours in a covered pot, stirring occasionally.
- Remove ham hocks and set aside to cool. Dice meat and return to soup.
- Lightly brown the onion in butter. Add to soup. Before serving, bring to a boil and season with salt and pepper.