Vegetarian Black Bean Chowder
Heidi Swanson is an enthusiastic, self-taught home cook based in San Francisco. She has an inspiring blog, 101 Cookbooks, and has written numerous cookbooks.
I love this dish because the orange juice gives it a surprise Caribbean-ish flavor. I sometimes add a bit of chopped habanero in the beginning with the onions when I know I'm cooking for people who aren't afraid of a little heat.
- 3T. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 t. salt
- 4 cups of cooked and drained Midnight Black beans
- 1 (28-oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 c. orange juice
- 3/4 t. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 c. rum (optional)
- To a large pot over medium heat, add the extra-virgin olive oil, onions, shallots, garlic, and salt. Saute for 5 minutes, or until the onions start to get soft.
- Add the black beans, crushed tomatoes, orange juice, and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the rum. Season with salt to taste.