Home gardeners know the wonderful problem of too much zucchini (summer squash). Just as you really start enjoying it, you can get overloaded, especially towards the end of summer. Everyone likes a fritter and these are especially good with our Mexican oregano. The slightly citrus, earthy flavors make this a winner. A scant visit from a bottle of our Stardust makes them especially pretty, and tasty.
- 1 pound zucchini, grated
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 serrano pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon masa corn flour
- 1 whole egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon Mexican Oregano
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Rancho Gordo Stardust Dipping Powder (optional)
- Grate the zucchini and salt them. Let stand for 30 minutes to an hour in a colander. Squeeze the zucchini dry with your hands or wring it out with a kitchen towel.
- In a large bowl, add the zucchini and the rest of the ingredients, except the oil. gently mix.
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a cast-ron skillet, a comal or a non-stick sauté pan. When hot, add the batter by the heaping tablespoon. Spread a little to make a pancake shape. Cook for about 3 minutes, or until golden. Turn over with a spatula and cook for another 2 minutes or so.
- Sprinkle with salt or Stardust powder while draining on paper towels.