This one of my favorite dishes at Pizzeria Azzuro here in Napa. It turns out it's one of chef Michael Gyetvan's favorite dishes as well and he was nice enough to share it with us.
- 1 pound medium gulf white shrimp (shelled and de-veined)
1 cup dried Rancho Gordo white beans such as Alubia Blanca or Royal Corona
- 6 ounces Italian sausage (we use Caggiano from Sonoma)
- 1 Tbsp. garlic, chopped fine
- 1 yellow onion, diced fine
- 1 carrot, diced fine
- 2 small celery stalks, diced fine
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 cup arugula
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup bean cooking liquid
- Pre-soak the beans in 4 cups water overnight. Drain beans.
- In a large pot, bring the beans up to a simmer in 4 cups of fresh, salted water (1 tablespoon). Cook until tender, let cool in liquid and reserve 1/2 cup cooking liquid.
- In a sauté pan, render sausage in 1 tablespoon of oil, add onions, carrots, celery and garlic, and cook until tender. Add beans and the 1/2 cup cooking liquid until emulsified. Add butter and take off heat. When butter is melted, add arugula.
- Meanwhile, salt and pepper shrimp. Drizzle with olive oil and grill on high heat about 2 minutes per side. Place bean and sausage mixture in bowl and top with grilled shrimp.