This is our favorite kind of salad: crunchy, creamy, and substantial.
We've been enjoying Andy Baraghani's book, The Cook You Want to Be (Lorena Jones Books, 2022). There are countless new ideas and jumping-off points if you're an adventurous cook. His Crunchy Celery Salad has shades of the old Waldorf salad that your grandmother enjoyed, but this is new and sharp and easy to like. We added a cup of cooked Alubia Blancas and cut back a little on the cheese since the beans would add some of the creaminess.
- 4 to 6 celery stalks, preferably with leaves
- 1 green apple
- 1 carrot
- Extra-virgin olive oil to taste
- Fresh lemon juice to taste
- Salt to taste
- 3 oz Stilton or blue cheese
- 1 cup cooked, drained Rancho Gordo Alubia Blanca beans, or any of our white beans
- ½ cup roasted pecans, coarsely crushed
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Chop the celery, apple, and carrot into bite-sized cubes. In a salad bowl or on a platter, toss these ingredients with olive oil, salt, and lemon juice to taste.
- Gently add the the crumbled cheese, beans, and pecans and fold them into the salad mixture. Garnish with parsley. Taste and adjust the seasonings before serving.