Recipe: Easy Curried Beans
- 1/2 pound dried heirloom beans such as Cassoulet, Scarlet Runner, Yellow Indian Woman, or Cranberry
- 3 TBS olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 TBS good-quality curry powder
- 1/2 tsp New Mexican Red Chile Powder (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook beans in the Rancho Gordo manner.
- While beans are cooking, heat oil in heavy skillet over medium heat. When oil is hot, add onions and fry, but do not brown. They should turn yellow, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and fry for another minute, until garlic wilts. Add curry powder and chile powder, if using, and fry for about 3 minutes, moving onions around in pan so they don't burn. Add more oil if necessary.
- Reduce heat and stir in cooked, drained beans (reserve 1 cup cooking liquid). Thin mixture with vegetable broth or bean cooking liquid until desired consistency is achieved. Cover and simmer on low for at least 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, to blend the flavors. Add salt and pepper, and serve.