This salsa is similar to a relish. I add a healthy plop to a bowl of good beans and call it a meal. The photo features Ayocote Morado, but any bean would love the company.
- 6 to 10 pieces of Rancho Gordo plain xoconostle, soaked for 6 hours in water, drained, liquid reserved
- ¼ of a white onion, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro (or parsley, if you must)
- 1 small to medium jalapeño chile, chopped fine (remove the seeds if you prefer a milder salsa)
- Salt to taste
- Chop the xoconostle into small pieces, about ¼-inch thick.
- Transfer to a bowl and mix with the other ingredients. Add 2 tablespoons of the reserved soaking water and stir to combine.