This is a flexible salad recipe featuring some of our favorite summer ingredients. Adjust the ingredient amounts based on your preferences and how many people you are serving.
- Cooked cactus paddles (nopales), see below
- Radishes, very thinly sliced
- Corn off the cob
- Rancho Gordo Buckeye (also known as Yellow Indian Woman) beans or Santa Maria Pinquitos, cooked
- Oven-Roasted Tomatoes, chopped (see below)
- Rancho Gordo Wild Rice, cooked
- Banana Vinegar or white wine vinegar
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Combine all ingredients to taste in a salad bowl.
The best tomatoes are “in season.” If you’re in a bind, use Romas. Cut tomatoes in half and place on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle sea salt and fresh thyme over them and cook them in a low oven, at about 275 degrees F, for an hour or two. The tomatoes should be somewhat dry with wrinkled skins.
Cactus Paddles (Nopales)
Need some help with the nopales after foraging? We have some tips HERE and the video below.