The constant struggle for something quick and good for dinner led me to this dish, inspired by a visit from pal Judy Witts-Francini and her Tuscan beans.
Serves 2 as an entree and 4 as a side dish
- 1/2 cup Italian sausage, broken up into small bits
- 1/2 onion, chopped fine
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1/2 cup canned roasted tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups cooked Mayocoba or Rebosero beans
- 1/2 cup of the bean cooking liquid or chicken stock
- 4 leaves sage, minced fine
- 1/2 bunch dandelion greens, roughly chopped
- In a large pan, saute the sausage, onion and garlic in the olive oil. Keep breaking up the sausage pieces so that they are very small. When cooked through, add the tomotoes and bean cooking liquid.
- Cook until the tomatoes are warmed through and add the beans, sage and dandelions. Continue to cook until simmering. Drizzle a little olive oil over the dish before serving.