This recipe was created by Chef Ned Bell. Serve this at your next dinner party and watch your guests swoon!
Makes 24-30 crostini
- 1 loaf French baguette (24-30 slices)
- Olive oil
- 1 pound fresh wild boar sausage
- Using a serrated knife, slice the baguette into thin, 1/4-inch slices on the diagonal. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and arrange the slices in a single layer.
- Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the olive oil over the bread. Bake in a 400ºF oven for 5 minutes, just until crisp and starting to color. Set the crostini aside.
- Meanwhile, grill the sausages over medium heat until cooked through, about 10-15 minutes. Cool to room temperature and slice on the diagonal into thin slices.
Wild Rice Salad:
- 1 cup Rancho Gordo Wild Rice
- 6 cups water
- 1 carrot, washed and quartered
- 1 stalk celery, washed and quartered
- 1/2 onion
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup Sparrow Lane Golden Balsamic Vinegar
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup finely diced carrot (1/8-inch dice)
- 1 cup finely diced celery (1/8-inch dice)
- 2 whole cloves garlic, peeled and halved
- 1/2 cup finely chopped chives
- To cook the wild rice, in a large saucepan, combine the rice, water, quartered carrot, quartered stalk of celery, onion and bay leaves, and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 45 minutes, until the rice is tender and starting to split. Drain the rice and discard the carrot, celery, onion and bay leaves.
- To make the salad, place the drained rice in a bowl, stirring to cool slightly. Add the balsamic vinegar and 1/4 cup of the olive oil. Stir and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- In a sauté pan, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium heat and cook the diced carrot and celery, with the garlic, for 10 minutes, just until tender.
- Discard garlic and add the sautéed vegetables to the rice. Stir to combine, then set aside to cool to room temperature. Stir in the chopped chives.
- To assemble, pile about 2 tablespoons of wild rice salad on each toast, then set a slice of sausage on top. Serve immediately.
Enjoy with a glass of Cakebread Cellars Rubaiyat.