- 2 cups cooked heirloom beans such as Pinto, Rio Zape, or Eye of the Goat
- 1/2 bottle beer
- 1 piece bacon
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 whole serrano peppers, minced
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
- Warm the cooked beans over medium-low heat. Stir in the beer. The beans should be somewhat soupy. Add more beer if too thick; or turn up the flame and cook off excess liquid if too thin.
- Cook bacon in an ungreased frying pan over medium-low heat until fat is mostly rendered. Remove bacon and excess fat, leaving about a tablespoon. Add onion, garlic and chiles and sauté until soft, then add mushrooms. Cook until soft. Chop bacon and add to mixture.
- Add mushroom/bacon mix to the pot of beans. Mix thoroughly and cook for another 10 minutes. Test for seasoning.
Serve with a lime wedge.