This recipe is adapted from Salad of the Day: 365 Recipes for Every Day of the Year by Georgeanne Brennan. Georgeanne says: "Earthy, quick-to-cook lentils make a bed for this main-dish salad. For a vegetarian option, substitute toasted walnuts for the chicken."
- 1 cup dried Rancho Gordo French-Style Green Lentils, or Black Caviar Lentils
- Sea salt
- 7 drained, oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, minced, plus 3 tablespoons oil reserved
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- ¼ pound feta cheese, crumbled or cubed, a tablespoon set aside for garnish
- 1½ cups slivered, roasted chicken
- 1 drained, oil-packed sun-dried tomato, cut in slivers, for garnish
- In a large saucepan, combine the lentils, 6 cups water, and 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce the heat to low, and simmer, uncovered, until the lentils are tender to the bite, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Drain the lentils well and transfer to a large bowl. Add ½ teaspoon salt, the minced sun-dried tomatoes and reserved oil, the garlic, 3 tablespoons of the parsley, and the vinegar. Stir gently to mix.
- Mound the lentils onto a platter. Top with the cheese and chicken. Garnish with the reserved slivers of sun-dried tomato and feta. Sprinkle with the remaining1 tablespoon parsley. Serve at room temperature.
Note: A customer wrote in recently and suggested substituting Garbanzo beans for the chicken to make this a vegetarian main-dish salad. Great idea!